Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Honey Mustard Chicken

I made this recipe up years (15, maybe?) ago after having Alice Springs Chicken at Outback Steakhouse with some friends before a Rod Stewart concert.  Now, because we are into EASY COOKING, I will share my cheater version.  It won't include mushrooms because we established back in September that I don't like the little suckers.  You can read the description of the 'real' recipe and figure out how to add fungi if you are so inclined.  I won't judge.  Much.  :o)  Anyway, this has become a family favorite, as well as a recipe I use on the rare occasion that we actually have company for dinner.

Honey Mustard Chicken

Make honey mustard sauce (recipe below) and set aside
Cook 1 pound of bacon, cut strips in half, and set aside
Brown 4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts in large skillet and transfer to 9" x 13" baking dish

Top each chicken breast with 1 generous tablespoon of sauce, 2 slices of bacon, and a pinch of Monterey Jack cheese.

Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes or until chicken is done and everything is melted together.

Serve with rice, pasta, or you can be really cool like Outback and serve with fries.  I'm just not that cool.  Besides, a box of pilaf is way easier to make than fries.

Honey Mustard Sauce

2 parts mayonnaise or Miracle Whip (don't let your arteries panic - you can use fat free mayo, or light versions of any white stuff you like)
1 part honey
1 part Dijon mustard (no, it doesn't have to be Grey Poupon, but it does need to be Dijon and not yellow, spicy, or any other options out there!)

Stir.  Taste.  Adjust accordingly.  You want to end up with about 3/4 cup of sauce because invariably your family will want extra on the side.  Or maybe we're just extra saucy people.

Now, because this is ME and I am big into shortcuts when cooking (sigh - my mother, younger brother and sister are all into really GOOD cooking...somehow it skipped me), here is how I made this dish last night:

Start cooking 2 cups of white rice (don't judge - I didn't want to wait 45 minutes for browh rice).  Discover we have no bacon, so rule that part out, although the 'good' bacon bits are a perfect substitute...something else I don't keep on hand though.  Arteries (and Weight Watchers) both thank me for the lack of bacon. In large skillet, throw in a bunch of frozen chicken tenderloins and turn burner on high.  Grab a kid and instruct her to stir up some honey mustard sauce.  Stir chicken and cook about 15 minutes until it's done.  Pour cooked rice into large baking dish.  Pour skillet o' cooked chicken over rice.  Water down honey mustard sauce enough so I can slop it over chicken fast.  Sprinkle Mexican grated cheese over the whole mess and throw in the oven for about 15 minutes (chicken was already cooked) until cheese melted.  Serve with steamed carrots.

Cheers ~
Cheryl

No comments: