Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Chimichangas

I grew up in Dallas until I was 11, then Albuquerque until I was 18.  Albuquerque opened up a whole new world of flavors and I learned that in spite of my German background, my taste buds longed to be New Mexican!  Chimichangas are not the healthiest Mexican food option, but they sure are delicious.  I had never attempted making until a dear friend, Lisa, told me the way she made them ~without deep-frying~.  They're still not in the "health food" category, but they are delicious and can be lightened up.  I'll share the basic directions, then some healthier options below.

Preheat oven to broil/475*.

Using the meat/bean filling from last week, heat and add a good amount (a cup or so) of salsa (fresh is best!) to the mixture.  Put 1/3-1/2 cup meat/salsa in a softened flour tortilla and roll, folding the sides in first, then each of the ends.  Just tuck everything in really tightly.  Place seam side down in a glass baking dish and continue until you have filled the dish.  Now comes the naughty part.  In a bowl, melt a stick of butter.  Two if you're doing a really large batch, but 1 stick is sufficient for 4-6 chimichangas.  Pour over chimis, making sure everything gets coated nicely and you have it between and under everything.  (Sigh.  I miss butter.)  Place in oven and watch carefully...they cook fast (5-7 minutes in mine).  When they are light golden brown, turn the oven off, pull pan out, and lightly sprinkle grated cheese over the top.  Return to oven just long enough for the cheese to melt.  Serve immediately.

Now, if you want to enjoy these without your arteries hating you, try using the following substitutions:  whole wheat/fiber tortillas; ground turkey or a vegetarian/soy option for the meat; fat free refried beans; spray the pan with nonstick spray; melt 2-3 Tbsp. butter and brush the tops before baking or spray with fake butter spray; use low fat cheese.  I won't lie:  It's not as yummy without all the butter, but it makes it much more diet friendly.

Cheers ~
Cheryl

No comments: