Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Creamy Baked Chicken

I discovered this recipe in an old church cookbook when I was expecting my oldest (now 21). Well, not this recipe, because I adapted it and am sharing it as my own.  It's rich, creamy, and comfort food at its best.  It will warm up your family on a cold night and smells amazing as your crock pot slaves away throughout the day.

Creamy Baked Chicken

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (use whatever you like!)
1 can cream of anything soup (calls for cream of mushroom - ICK - I don't like mushroom anything, so I use cream of chicken)
¾ cup sour cream
1 medium chopped yellow or white onion
1 medium chopped bell pepper OR small can of chopped green chilies

Place chicken in a greased crock pot or deep baking dish and salt/pepper well. Mix soup and sour cream thoroughly. Add onions and peppers and spread over chicken, covering thoroughly. Cover with foil and bake at 300* for 90 minutes. If using crock pot, cook on low for 4 hours. Serve with rice or pasta and steamed vegetables.  If you make this with green chilies, you can serve over black or pinto beans.



*I lighten this recipe up by using lighter forms of sour cream and soup.  It's still so rich that you'll never miss those pesky extra calories!*

Cheers~

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum! Cute blog, my friend. Keep posting and if you make some of this deliciousness called Creamy Baked Chicken, feel free to bring a pan of it over to my neck of the woods! I'll swap you some cookies, or cake, or whatever Generous Kitchen has whipped up that day for it!

Kally said...

I tried this when we had the cooking small thing @ home sanctuary and it was tasty and simple :D
Thanks :)